Finn Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes) won the Austrian Grand Prix, behind closed doors, at the opening of the Formula 1 World Championship, more than three months after the scheduled date due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Monegasque Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) and Briton Lando Norris (McLaren) completed the podium.
This was followed by Hamilton, who started from fifth place after receiving a three-position penalty minutes before the start of the race. Fifth place went to McLaren Spaniard Carlos Sainz Jr.
Following a complaint from the Red Bull team, the stewards revised their decision not to penalize Hamilton for not slowing down his car, as required, under a yellow flag in Saturday’s qualifying, in which his teammate Bottas took pole.
The Dutchman Max Verstappen (Red Bull), who shared the front row with Bottas after the suspension of Hamilton, was out of the race in the opening bars after technical problems.
Before the start of the race, current world champion Hamilton and 13 other drivers dug their knees to the ground in support of the fight against racism. The other six on the grid decided to stay standing.
– Classification of the Formula 1 Austrian Grand Prix, first race of the world championship, this Sunday at the Spielberg circuit (306,452 km of race):
1. Valtteri Bottas (FIN / Mercedes)
the 306,452 km in 1 h 30: 55,739
2. Charles Leclerc (MON / Ferrari) at 2,700
3. Lando Norris (GBR / McLaren-Renault) 5,491
4. Lewis Hamilton (GBR / Mercedes) 5,689
5. Carlos Sainz Jr (ESP / McLaren-Renault) 8.903
6. Sergio Pérez (MEX / Racing Point-Mercedes) 15,092
7. Pierre Gasly (FRA / Toro Rosso-Honda) 16,682
8. Estéban Ocon (FRA / Renault) 17,456
9. Antonio Giovinazzi (ITA / Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari) 21,146
10. Sebastian Vettel (GER / Ferrari) 24,545
11. Nicholas Latifi (CAN / Williams-Mercedes) 31,650
12. Daniil Kvyat (RUS / Toro Rosso-Honda) to 2 laps
13. Alexander Albon (THA / Red Bull-Honda) to 3 laps
The other pilots did not finish
– Formula 1 World Cup rankings
1. Valtteri Bottas (FIN) 25 points
2. Charles Leclerc (MON) 18
3. Lando Norris (GBR) 16
4. Lewis Hamilton (GBR) 12
5. Carlos Sainz Jr (ESP) 10
6. Sergio Pérez (MEX) 8
7. Pierre Gasly (FRA) 6
8. Estéban Ocon (FRA) 4
9. Antonio Giovinazzi (ITA) 2
10. Sebastian Vettel (GER) 1
1. Mercedes-AMG 37
2. McLaren-Renault 26
3. Ferrari 19
4. Racing Point-Mercedes 8
6. Renault 4
7. Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari 2