Follow Us

Charges dropped against Conor McGregor

Charges dropped against Conor McGregor

Florida prosecutors dropped charges against mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Conor McGregor, who had been arrested in March for smashing the cell phone of a supporter photographing him in Miami Beach.

The 30-year-old Irishman was arrested on March 11 for snatching and destroying the phone from Ahmed Abdirzak, who along with other fans took photos of him that morning at the entrance to the Fontainebleau hotel in Miami Beach, a barrier island off Miami, in the South Florida.

After filing a lawsuit against him, Abdirzak reached an out-of-court settlement with McGregor, but the prosecution still charged him with robbery with use of force and crime against property.

You can also read:  Floyd Mayweather confirms fight against Andre Berto

According to the local Miami Herald newspaper, on Monday the prosecution withdrew such charges because Abdirzak has no interest in collaborating with the investigation.

“The crime victim does not wish to return to the United States to proceed in this case,” prosecutor Khalil Madani said Monday, quoted by the Herald.

On March 26, McGregor announced his retirement from MMA for the second time in three years, although his decision was made with skepticism.

Nicknamed “The Notorious,” the Irishman was the UFC featherweight champion in 2015 and 2016 and the lightweight champion from 2016 to 2018, becoming the first to hold the title in two different categories. AFP

You can also read:  Argentine Heiland must be active to have a chance, says Sulaimán

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

38 − = 37