Follow Us

Djokovic describes the current conditions for the US Open as “rigorous”

Djokovic describes the current conditions for the US Open as “rigorous”

Serbian Novak Djokovic, world tennis number one, has described as “rigorous” the conditions proposed for the eventual dispute of the US Open after the pause imposed as a result of the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

“For example, we would not have access to Manhattan, we would have to sleep in hotels near the airport, take tests two or three times a week,” Djokovic told Serbian station Prva.

“Also, we could bring only one person to the club (to the complex where the tournament is held), and that is unimaginable. We need the coach, the physiotherapist … », he explained.

“His truly rigorous proposals,” stressed the tennis player when talking about the possibility that this Grand Slam will be played at the end of August, something that has not yet been definitively decided.

You can also read:  Murray in the same group as Wawrinka and Djokovic

“We’ll see what will happen,” he commented.

However, he said he understood the efforts of the organizers to carry out the event, given the financial needs and the “existing agreements.”

On the other hand, regarding a regional tournament that he organizes between June 13 and July 5 for charity purposes in various cities in the western Balkans, he stated that in Belgrade, where the competition will begin, the matches will be played with spectators. in the stands.

He indicated that he tries to “encourage” several world tennis players to participate in the tournament, but that “many of them, who are in countries with strict measures for the coronavirus, do not believe that in Serbia, with an audience at the events, they can avoid quarantine ».

You can also read:  Pliskova removes Muguruza from Indian Wells

“I try to explain to everyone that here things are quite different than in the West, that they can arrive, enjoy themselves, that there are measures and norms that must be respected but that we are close to normal,” said Djokovic.

So far, they have announced their participation, in addition to Djokovic, world tennis stars such as the Austrian Dominic Thiem (3), the Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov (19), the Croats Borna Coric (33) and Marin Cilic (37), and the Serbian Viktor Troicki (184).

“The sets reduced to four (‘games’ won) and two sets will be played,” in line with a new format analyzed by the ATP, said Djokovic.

You can also read:  Lleyton Hewitt said goodbye to his last US Open

“In Belgrade there is a court that allows eight participants in the game, in the free-for-all format, so the matches could not last long,” he explained.

The plan for the “Adria Tour” tournament is to start in Serbia (Belgrade, June 13 and 14), continue in Croatia (Zadar, days 20 and 21), Montenegro (days 27 and 28), and conclude in Bosnia-Herzegovina (Banja Luka, on July 3 and 4, and Sarajevo, on July 5). EFE (HN)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

86 − = 77