British driver Lewis Hamilton of the Mercedes team won the Formula 1 Mexican Grand Prix, held at the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez in the Mexican capital, but could not achieve his sixth world title.
Hamilton finished ahead of German Sebastien Vettel (Ferrari) and Finn Valteri Bottas (Mercedes), who kept the fight for the World Drivers’ Championship alive by taking 74 points behind the lead.
After the 18th race of the season, Hamilton leads the standings with 363 points followed by Bottas, who has 289, and with a calendar that still has 78 points to distribute in three GPs: United States, Brazil and Abu Dhabi.
Hamilton achieved victory number 83 of his career and second in Mexico, the previous one was in 2016.
– Official classification of the Mexican Grand Prix, eighteenth round of the Formula 1 World Championship, which was held at the Hermanos Rodríguez Autodrome (4,304 km):
1. Lewis Hamilton (GBR / Mercedes) the 305,354 km in 1h36: 48,904
2. Sebastian Vettel (GER / Ferrari) at 1,766
3. Valtteri Bottas (FIN / Mercedes) 3,553
4. Charles Leclerc (MON / Ferrari) 6,368
5. Alexander Albon (THA / Red Bull-Honda) 21,399
6. Max Verstappen (NED / Red Bull-Honda) 1: 08.807
7. Sergio Pérez (MEX / Racing Point-Mercedes) 1: 13.819
8. Daniel Ricciardo (AUS / Renault) 1: 14.924
9. Daniil Kvyat (RUS / Toro Rosso-Honda) 1 lap
10. Pierre Gasly (FRA / Toro Rosso-Honda) 1 lap
11. Nico Hülkenberg (GER / Renault) 1 lap
12. Lance Stroll (CAN / Racing Point-Mercedes) 1 lap
13. Carlos Sainz Jr (ESP / McLaren-Renault) 1 lap
14. Antonio Giovinazzi (ITA / Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari) 1 lap
15. Kevin Magnussen (DEN / Haas-Ferrari) 2 laps
16. George Russell (GBR / Williams-Mercedes) 2 laps
17. Romain Grosjean (FRA / Haas-Ferrari) 2 laps
18. Robert Kubica (POL / Williams-Mercedes) 2 laps
Fastest lap: Charles Leclerc (MON / Ferrari) 1: 19.232 at 53 (average: 263.212 km / h)
Lando Norris (GBR / McLaren-Renault): mechanical problem (lap 49)
Kimi Räikkönen (FIN / Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari): mechanical problem (lap 58)
Nico Hülkenberg (GER / Renault): accident on lap 71. AFP