Follow Us

Holyfield challenges Tyson: sign the contract and get into the ring

Holyfield challenges Tyson: sign the contract and get into the ring

Almost 25 years after beating him twice while retaining the World Boxing Association (WBA) heavyweight title, Holyfield wants the third fight.

After seeing Tyson in an exhibition match against Roy Jones Jr., on Saturday night at Staples Center in Los Angeles, Holyfield says a third fight between him and Tyson would be “a worldwide event and the only one that any want to see”.

In a press release, he said that “My team tried to make the fight happen and we got nothing but excuses.”

He adds, “Now I can see why he wanted a set-up fight before he thought about fighting me.”

“No more excuses. This is the fight that must happen for our two legacies. You said Saturday night you were ready to fight me, so sign the contract and get in the ring, Tyson. The world is waiting and now it’s up to you. I’m ready ”, says the text.

You can also read:  It would be in March Mares-González II

After the 54-year-old Tyson apparently outplayed 51-year-old Jones in a fight that ended in a draw, he said he plans to step into the ring for another exhibition fight in the future, although it could be with a different opponent.

Tyson didn’t seem to shy away from facing Holyfield next, but noted that they may need to cut out the middle man for the fight to happen.

He said “maybe Evander needs to talk to me because every time my business partners talk to theirs, it doesn’t work out,” Tyson said after Saturday’s fight.

“Then I do not know. If you could see what we did tonight, if these guys really care about Evander’s well-being, they would have had this fight for Evander. Maybe we will do another, but whoever it is with, whoever is handling it is totally wrong, “he said.

You can also read:  «Maravilla» Martínez returns to the ring with a victory by KO

Tyson and Jones were to receive a guaranteed million dollar purse, and Tyson was reportedly in a position to win 10 million after “pay-per-view” television revenue.

Last week Holyfield, 58, told the “I am Athlete” podcast last week that he was “not going to get in the ring for less than $ 25 million”.

Holyfield hasn’t participated in a licensed boxing match in nearly 10 years, and it had been more than 15 for Tyson.

The rivalry between Tyson and Holyfield was one of the best in boxing of the 1990s.

In November 1996, Holyfield, who was in the midst of a comeback from his retirement, stunned a top-tier Tyson with an 11th-round TKO victory.

You can also read:  Álvarez will allow Stevenson a voluntary defense

Holyfield also won the June 1997 rematch by disqualification in the fourth round when Tyson bit his ear twice, even ripping off a chunk, in retaliation for what he perceived as intentional head butts.

Tyson, who had been missing the opening laps of that fight, was hit with two points after the first bite and then bitten again. (GG) (EFE)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

7 + 2 =