The British Sam Bird (Envision), who was the first to cross the finish line, was stripped of his victory in the Hong Kong ePrix, which was at the hands of the Swiss Edoardo Mortara (Venturi), by a maneuver in which Bird hit the vehicle of German Andre Lotterer.
Sam Bird was in second place and was trying to overtake Andre Lotterer (Techeetah), in the lead, but the Briton hit the back of the German’s car on the penultimate lap. Consequence: a puncture in a rear wheel for Lotterer, which he was forced to abandon.
Sam Bird claimed that his maneuver was involuntary, but the stewards decided to penalize him with five seconds, for which he lost his first place on the podium.
Edoardo Mortara, who had been second, inherited the first place, ahead of the Brazilian Lucas Di Grassi (Audi), 2nd, and the Dutch Robin Frijns (Envision), 3rd.
Despite this, the British, already a winner in Santiago at the end of January, was placed leader of the general.
Belgian Stoffel Vandoorne (HWA), who started from pole, had to leave in a very bumpy race with the safety vehicle constantly entering the track.
– Hong Kong ePrix ranking after Bird sanction:
1. Edoardo Mortara (SUI / Venturi) 59: 36.119
2. Lucas Di Grassi (BRA / Audi) at 0.988
3. Robin Frijns (NED / Envision) 1,536
4. Daniel Abt (GER / Audi) 1985
5. Felipe Massa (BRA / Venturi) 3,258
6. Sam Bird (GBR / Envision) 3,306
7. Mitch Evans (NZL / Jaguar) 4,017
8. Gary Paffett (GBR / HWA) 4,368
9. Oliver Turvey (GBR / NIO) 5,624
10. Antonio Felix Da Costa (BMW) 6,492
-Formula E 2018-19 drivers classification after the 5th GP of 13:
1. Sam Bird (GBR / Envision) 54 points
2. Jérôme d’Ambrosio (BEL / Mahindra) 53
3. Lucas Di Grassi (BRA / Audi) 52
4. Edoardo Mortara (SUI / Venturi) 52
5. Antonio Felix Da Costa (POR / BMW) 47. AFP