The Major League Baseball office and the players union on Thursday extended Trevor Bauer’s administrative discharge for seven days until July 15, while allegations of inappropriate sexual behavior against the Los Angeles Dodgers starter are investigated.
Bauer was initially placed on administrative leave on July 2 in accordance with the joint violence, sexual assault and child abuse policies implemented by MLB and the players’ union in 2015. This is not the first time an administrative discharge has been extended to a player. in which an investigation is carried out.
Police in Pasadena, California, and Major League Baseball are investigating allegations that a Southern California woman brought against Bauer, claiming that the pitcher suffocated her to the point of losing consciousness and hit her during a couple of sexual encounters earlier in the year. this year. The woman obtained a restraining order against Bauer last month.
According to the woman’s statement attached to her request for a protection order, she suffered injuries during her second encounter with Bauer, including bruises to both eyes, a bloody and swollen lip, and bumps and scratches on the side of her face.
“We continue to rebut the allegations in the strongest terms, and Mr. Bauer strongly rejects that version of both encounters,” the pitcher’s agents Jon Fetterolf and Rachel Luba said in a statement. “We reiterate, an administrative discharge is not a disciplinary measure nor does it reflect in any way any finding in the investigation by the league.”
Fetteroff has said that his client’s interactions with the woman were consensual. A hearing related to the restraining order is scheduled for July 23.
Bauer agreed to a three-year, $ 102 million deal earlier this year to join the Dodgers after winning his first Cy Young with the Cincinnati Reds last season. In 17 starts this year, Bauer is 8-5 with a 2.59 ERA. (AP)