Follow Us

Nadal, “excited” about Roland Garros but pending the pandemic

Nadal, “excited” about Roland Garros but pending the pandemic

The number two in the world, Rafa Nadal, has the “illusion and intention” to play Roland Garros, although everything will depend on how the situation of the pandemic evolves, which has already led him to resign from the US Open.

“It is in my mind and I am going to be preparing for it, but we have to wait for events,” he said in a telematic conference with various media.

“In recent weeks the situation seems to have gotten a little worse, but my hope and my intention would be to be there if conditions allow it,” Nadal insisted.

The Spanish wants to prepare for the European soil season, practically reduced to the tournament in Rome (September 20-27) and Roland Garros (September 27 to October 11), after the cancellation of the Masters 1000 in Madrid (12-20 September September).

You can also read:  Argentino Delbonis maintains his faith in Nadal's inactivity

“When the time comes we will see how the situation is in Europe and if it is under control or not,” added Nadal, who has already resigned from the US Open due to the pandemic.

“I am the reigning champion (of the US Open), but my heart tells me that this is not the time to take long trips without knowing what may happen. I have decided to stay at home in Mallorca, where the situation seems good and under control, and wait for future opportunities, “said Nadal, who assured that he had made his decision after consulting with his family.

Nadal did not want to enter to assess whether it is a good or bad decision to keep the American tournament.

«Today it is difficult to say what is correct and what is not. We are facing an unprecedented situation and we hope that the tournament will go in the best possible way, “said the Spanish tennis player.

You can also read:  Andy Murray has coronavirus and his participation in the Australia Open is at risk

– Looking to 2021 –

“I have made my decision, but I respect that other tennis players are in different situations and need to play because they need to earn money after having had some financial problems after a few months without income,” he said.

Nadal also claimed that he had done several medical tests and that everything had gone well, and considered “an unpleasant situation” the cancellation on Tuesday of the Masters 1000 in Madrid, which joins that of the final phase of the Davis Cup in the Spanish capital .

“The health situation makes it very difficult for events of this caliber to be held with players from all over the world,” said Nadal, who had already confirmed his presence at the Madrid tournament.

You can also read:  Murray defeats Ferrer and reaches the final in Beijing

The Spanish tennis player considered the cancellation of the Masters 1000 in Madrid a “sensible decision”, recalling the situation in Spain with outbreaks of COVID-19.

“You have to have a little patience to see how things go,” said Nadal, who would never “have wanted 2020 like this.”

«What may happen in 2021 will be seen. I will face whatever comes with the utmost enthusiasm, “said the Spaniard, lamenting that this whole pandemic situation has come to him when he was playing well.

«I have lost a year of sporting life. I am of advanced age and I was in a good moment of my career and playing very well, at a professional level it is not good “what happened, he concluded. AFP (HN)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

98 − = 88