Follow Us

Puerto Rican fighters praise Cotto’s courage to return to the ring

Puerto Rican fighters praise Cotto’s courage to return to the ring

Amanda Serrano, world champion in five divisions, former 105 and 108 pound champion Iván ‘Iron Boy’ Calderón and Jeyvier Cintrón, the only Puerto Rican boxer to have competed in two editions of the Olympic Games, agreed to highlight the value of their compatriot Miguel Cotto to return to the ring after almost two years of inactivity.

Serrano, ‘Iron Boy’ Calderón and Cintrón said they were sure that Cotto, at 36, retains talent, strength, the capacity for sacrifice and the desire to win.

Cotto, seeking his sixth title in four divisions, will return to the ring on August 26 to face Japan’s Yoshihiro Kamegai for the vacant World Junior Middleweight title. Boxing (OMB).

Amanda Serrano, who in the history of boxing An unprecedented Puerto Rican having won world titles in five divisions, he said Cotto “still has the potential” to continue fighting, despite his age.

You can also read:  Mike Tyson returns to boxing at age 54 for exhibition match

“He is a Puerto Rican at heart” and has everything to do well, said Serrano, 27, who next Friday will expose his WBO 122-pound title against Hungarian Edina Kiss for the second time.

Former world champion at 105 and 108 pounds Iván ‘Iron Boy’ Calderón distanced himself from critics of Cotto’s return, despite the known technical prowess of the Japanese Kamegai.

“I trust that he still has the talent, the strength and the youth. You can put up a good fight. He will fight against a rival who is always in front, “Calderón told Efe.

The former boxer recalled that he and Cotto, with a record of 40-5 and 33 knockouts, have known each other since 1997 and were in the Puerto Rican team that competed in the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

You can also read:  Crawford unifies four junior welterweight titles by knocking out Indongo

Since then, both stood out in the ring, Calderón as champion in two divisions, while Cotto, if he defeats Kamegai, will win the sixth title in four divisions.

The fight scheduled at the StubHub Center in the Californian city of Carson will mark Cotto’s return to the ring after his defeat on November 21, 2015 against Mexican Saúl ‘Canelo’ Álvarez.

«Miguel is a boxer who always trains hard. People will criticize him because he ‘jangea’ (goes out) a lot and drinks. But he is a man who at the time of training is the most focused and disciplined, “said Calderón.

On the same card this Friday in San Juan, Jeyvier Cintrón, the only Puerto Rican fighter who has competed in two editions of the Olympic Games, will fight for the second time as a professional: London 2012 and Rio de Janeiro 2016).

You can also read:  Former super featherweight world champion detained for wrongful death released

«I am anxious to see him (Cotto), he is an idol for the people and for me. At his age he does not feel the same, as (Floyd) Mayweather has said, but Cotto is a warrior and has the Puerto Rican calf, which will always be there, “said Cintrón. EFE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

− 3 = 2