Australian driver Will Power won the Pocono 500, a storm-shortened event, extending his string of victories to 13 in the IndyCar class seasons, while American Josef Newgarden increased his lead in the overall standings.
The race was stopped by lightning after 128 of the 200 scheduled laps on a 2.5-mile (4 km) course at Long Pond, Pennsylvania.
A few minutes later, leader Power was declared the winner with New Zealander Scott Dixon second, Frenchman Simon Pagenaud third, American rookie Santino Ferrucci fourth and leader Newgarden fifth.
Brazilian driver Tony Kanaan finished in eighth place.
– Result of the Pocono 500 race in the IndyCar:
1. Will Power (AUS) 128 laps in 1h53mins45.8296secs
2. Scott Dixon (NZL) at 5.4688secs
3. Simon Pagenaud (FRA) same laps
4. Santino Ferrucci (USA) mv
5. Josef Newgarden (USA) mv
6. Ed Carpenter (USA) mv
7. Sebastien Bourdais (FRA) mv
8. Tony Kanaan (BRA) mv
9. Graham Rahal (USA) mv
10. Charlie Kimball (USA) mv
– General classification after 14 of the 17 tests:
1. Josef Newgarden (USA) 535 points
2. Alexander Rossi (USA) 500
3. Simon Pagenaud (FRA) 495
4. Scott Dixon (NZL) 483
5. Will Power (AUS) 407. AFP